[lug] Web based password changers

Harris, James James_Harris at maxtor.com
Thu Jun 13 11:25:31 MDT 2002

> If you are running SSHD anyway, and you have an FTP server
> that is not
> dependent on the shell listed in /etc/passwd (such as ProFTPD
> AFAIR) you can
> just set those users shells to /usr/bin/passwd, then they can
> change it via
> SSH.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've heard of people doing this type of thing
and I think I will seriously consider doing it.  We are using ProFTPD and we
do have the system running SSH, so that really might not be a bad answer to
the problem.  Especially since it sounds like you've probably done this and
had it work.  ;)

Thanks for the recommendation!
Jim