[lug] ABI of RH's 2.96 g++

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Jun 13 16:05:10 MDT 2002

Tom Tromey wrote:

> >> Does anyone here happen to know, if I were to look in detail at the
> >> vtable details of 3.x g++/libstdc++, for the purpose of debugging
> >> and understanding the issues of C++ features across memory spaces
> >> (via dlopen), would I find the same information that also applies
> >> to the 2.96 g++ that comes standard with RH 7.1?
>
> My recollection is that 2.96 used the new C++ ABI.  However, since
> then people have found and fixed (minor) bugs in the ABI
> implementation.  So 2.96 should be similar to 3.0 and 3.1, but the
> three are not identical.

I assume that the vtables and issues related to using C++ with dlopen
modules would be very close regardless of 2.96 or 3.x documents? It
sounds like the 3.x documentation is good for this purpose.

> As for debugging, note that in 3.1 the default debug format changed to
> Dwarf-2.

This probably would not have any effect on the scheme for making C++
work with dlopen modules if using 3.1 docs to figure out how the RH 2.96
g++ and binutils work. Does that sound basically correct? And do you by
any chance happen to have a URL for something like a tutorial on g++
internals interacting with dlopen style modules, or general issues such
as how vtables are created, and what would break their use across
modules? I'm aware of the Qt FAQ, but it doesn't give enough detail.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com