[lug] stupid router question

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Jun 16 14:09:18 MDT 2002

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 01:57:46PM -0600, Bear Giles wrote:
>When I put a box into a colocated facility, a box with a
>competent OS (Linux, *BSD, etc.), why do I need a router?

For a single machine installation, you shouldn't need a router.  If you
are putting multiple machines in, the hosting company may have a policy
decision that they will not set up their routers to act as a gateway for
your networks, instead expecting you to have a router in place.  That would
only be relavent for more than one machine, though.

I think it's silly, but whatever...

Sean
--
 Obtuse: Not pointed or acute. Exceeding 90 degrees but less than 180 degrees.
 OOOooh!  Rounded at the free end.  Dull...  Hey!  That's an insult!  -- WKRP