[lug] DSL OR CABLE MODEM

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Mon Jun 17 10:20:37 MDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 08:44:02AM -0700, Yuko Jonah wrote:
> What really is the difference b/w dsl and cable modem. I have never use dsl before,but thinking of switching from cable modem to dsl due to price.

My (limited) experience is that DSL will give you slower download speeds and faster upload speeds.  Typically, a cable modem will download at 150 KBps and upload at 13 KBps (both are enforced by AT&T, rather than hardware-limited). The numbers for low-end DSl are usually 64 KBps down and 25 KBps up.

FWIW, I like DirecTV's DSL service (www.directvdsl.com).  They give you a static IP address, and they say "servers are fine".  I especially enjoyed their install instructions - for Windows and Macintosh they give the typical GUI-style baby steps, while for Linux they say "if you're running Linux, you're competent to plug in the information without hand-holding from us".

Sadly, DirecTV DSL is not currently available in my part of Loveland, so I have to find some other reasonable (i.e., Linux-compativle) DSL service there.

Does anyone have any DSl recommendations for my area?

Calvin
--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)