[lug] DSL OR CABLE MODEM

Harris, James James_Harris at maxtor.com
Tue Jun 18 08:47:16 MDT 2002

Thanks for the technical update!  :)

I had also considered Satellite, but the price, the lack of Linux support
and the latency all compounded to reduce it's usefullness to me.  Too bad
really.

Anyone here seen any adds for MHO?  They're supposedly a wireless provider
and they're coming into my neighborhood.  I checked out their deal and was
*sadly* disappointed that they are specifically denying any form of hosting
(blocking all useful inbound ports.)  What blows my mind is that they're
offering a static IP option... Maybe it's me, but I just don't see paying
extra per month for a static IP unless I can host some services...

I'm seriously debating whether or not I want to go with them.  For the
equipment and installation price, the coax cable that's going to have to be
run and the eyesore on the roof, I'm not sure it's terribly worth it if I
can't even host my own DNS and email (well, technically they're not blocking
inbound DNS, but they're sure as heck blocking 22, 25, 80 and more.)

Oh well humm, 'nough blabbing... Back to work.  :)