[lug] DSL OR CABLE MODEM

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Tue Jun 18 09:41:06 MDT 2002

Fred Robinson wrote:
<snip>
> Transmit and receive rates are fairly good, as high as 500K download and up
> to 125K upload.  However, the effective rate seems more like 100K, and
> upload at 50K, steady stream, but satellite isn't steady, it's bursty.  The
> network roundtrip delay is approx. 50ms (or half a second), so content comes
<snip>
A minor correction: 500ms is 0.5seconds.  50ms is 0.05seconds.

Just to put the ping results into the right perspective.  Even the land based wireless
systems have fairly high latency times.  My Sprint Broadband connection ranges between
50ms and 500ms with rare but occasional multi second delays.  Wired services do much
better in this department.  Downloads however are usually around 300kB/s and up.  So for
web browsing wireless is great but for ssh takes getting used to.

Ferdinand
--
Ferdinand Schmid
Architectural Energy Corporation