[lug] DSL OR CABLE MODEM

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Jun 18 15:27:31 MDT 2002

> Anyone here seen any adds for MHO?  They're supposedly a wireless provider
> and they're coming into my neighborhood.  I checked out their deal and was
> *sadly* disappointed that they are specifically denying any form of hosting
> (blocking all useful inbound ports.)  What blows my mind is that they're
> offering a static IP option... Maybe it's me, but I just don't see paying
> extra per month for a static IP unless I can host some services...

Even stranger, I think the static IP they give you is non-routable.  You may
want to check on that, but a friend has it and gets assigned 10.x.x.x
network addresses.  He's happy with the service, it's fairly reliable and
the only thing available in his area, but you definitely can't host anything
on it.

> I'm seriously debating whether or not I want to go with them.  For the
> equipment and installation price, the coax cable that's going to have to be
> run and the eyesore on the roof, I'm not sure it's terribly worth it if I
> can't even host my own DNS and email (well, technically they're not blocking
> inbound DNS, but they're sure as heck blocking 22, 25, 80 and more.)

Eyesore on the roof.  Bah Humbug.  Antennas are beautiful.  Cheaper than
other forms of metalworking "art" the city pays for too.  :-)  And more
functional.  (GRIN)

Nate