[lug] ssh Bad packet length?

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Tue Jun 18 21:17:50 MDT 2002

Anders Knudsen wrote:

>Calling all SSH gurus...
>
>Am having some SSH problems. When I SSH to my machine at home, I am
>getting "bad packet length" drops, after some time. The disconnect never
>happens immediately, but is not at a consistent time either.
>I am using openssh-3.1p1-3 on the client side, and
>openssh-server-3.1p1-3 on the server (home machine) side (Redhat both
>sides.)

I am having similar problems with SSH connections from work to home
(either of two machines). I think this is a network router issue --
possibly even a backbone router. I can consistently make it fail by
trying to SCP a large (10MB) file. It usually fails with 300-1000kB
transfered. My SSH connection can stay open with little traffic for
hours otherwise. I'm running 3.1p1-3 and 3.0.2p1-1 at home on seperate
machines. Both fail.

I would be very interested in traceroute or mtr traces of the route
between your machines. (Traces from both directions would be best.)

I am having problems VPN connections between home and work as well. I'm
beginning to think that they could be related.

The reason I think it may be a backbone router is that SCPs from work to
another, similarly configured SSH server (3.1p1-2) works fine, and SCPs
from this server to home work fine. If our routes coincide at all, that
would be further evidence to support the hypothesis.

-Rob