[lug] DSL OR CABLE MODEM

Frank Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Tue Jun 18 22:48:38 MDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harris, James" <James_Harris at maxtor.com>
To: <lug at lug.boulder.co.us>
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 10:45 AM
Subject: RE: [lug] DSL OR CABLE MODEM

<snip>
> Is wireless up over the 100+ms latency mark also?  I can deal with up to
> about 150, but after that, unless it's super cheap, I can't justify it
since
> most of what I'm doing is more dependant on low latency than it is on
super
> high bandwidth.  Thus, replacing my super good 49k to 51k ppp connection
> with something more expensive just wouldn't be justified.

<snip>
If you are getting ~50k dialups, you might consider multilink.  Two modems
at ~50k will get you ~100k.  With compression it will outrun normal ISDN.
Binding overhead is 0.03%.  Of course, adding another line is an expense and
you have to make sure Qwest doesn't split your existing copper.  This might
be your solution until something better appears.

Frank Whiteley
Greeley