[lug] PostgreSQL and Reports

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Wed Jun 19 10:11:18 MDT 2002

I am designing a database where I work using Microsoft Access.  The
benefits of using PostgreSQL and Python instead are abundantly clear
in most cases.  The one question we have come up against is generating
reports.

Anyone out there use a PostgreSQL database and generate large and
complex reports, and can make some recommendations?

I do have to admit that I am far from an expert on reporting
packages....but from what I have seen so far, the Linux (free)
solutions do not offer even a tiny fraction of the features the common
Windows-based report packages offer (such as Crystal Reports).  The
problem with all the Windows-based reporting packages I have found is
that they use ODBC, and I have yet to find one any packages that give
me access to the views in the database (a VERY important point because
we have a lot of calculations handled in SQL that should not need to
be repeated).

I would love to be able to propose
PostgreSQL/Python/<some-report-package> to my group, but without the
ability to easily generate our many large reports, there is no chance
it will be accepted.

Suggestions?

--
"I might not agree with what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it!"