[lug] PostgreSQL and Reports

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Jun 19 18:51:45 MDT 2002

> I have yet to find one any packages that give
> me access to the views in the database (a VERY important point because
> we have a lot of calculations handled in SQL that should not need to

I'm confused - why should your report writers know or care that
it's a view instead of a table?  Does ODBC make arbitrary distinctions
between views and tables?

That said, PostgreSQL views can't be updated... but that's easy to
handle with rules.   The format is something like

 CREATE RULE name ON INSERT TO tablename DO INSTEAD (sql statements) ;

or the same with "ON UPDATE" or "ON DELETE."

Bear