[lug] Various Arch/Compiler Binaries living together

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sun Jun 23 00:49:22 MDT 2002

Hey all,

I was mulling making the move to Gentoo, but I like Debian too much to
leave it behind.  So I decided to compile some packages of my own, and optimize
them for my machine, see if I can notice the difference.

I wanted to start with KDE, because have read that big speed ups can be
had there.  Well, trouble to start right away!  KDE 2.2.2 is the version
in unstable (I think), and it won't seem to compile with GCC-3.0.
GCC-2.95 works, but was hoping to optimize for the athlon arch, which is
only present in 3.

So, if I were to compile KDE with 2.95, arch=i686, and everything else with
3.0, arch=athlon, what do you think would happen?  My gut tells me
this would be a bad thing, and would probably end up causing KDE to
break, or worse, crash all the time.  But I don't really know.

Any thoughts?

Tim