[lug] Backup media and programs opinions?

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon Jun 24 11:19:53 MDT 2002

Since I need to take backups off site I like tapes.  DAT tapes are certainly cheap and all
present.  I haven't evaluated small backup solutions recently - but I did evaluate larger
type systems (1 .. 2 TB).  Our choice was an 11 tape Ultra-LTO changer with IBM drive.  I
initially found lots of problems with the LTO drives that had to do with firmware quirks
(on HP, Seagate, IBM, ... drives - I tested several brands).
DAT is an end of life-cycle product.  I am not aware of any DDS-V products in the works so
I would encourage you to also look around for prodoucts that may be improved in the close
future.  On the other hand every software/hardware seems to have been tested with DAT
systems and 6 tape DDS-4 changers are fairly cheap right now.

As far as software goes - I ulitemately ended up with brupro, a BRU (Tolisgroup) product.
  The price for tape library licensess can be significant depending on the software and
bru offers a very reliable solution at a good price.  The choice of software depends on
the different architecture of your backup clients...  Things are a lot simpler if you only
backup Linux rather than a mix of Solaris, Win32, OS-X, ...
The next release of BRU (BRUserver) is expected late this year and should get Arkeia type
tape database features to BRU without the price tag and with higher reliability.  BRU is
the only system that I am aware of that lets you skip past bad blocks on a tape.
Encrypted and compressed client backups are very easy to set up in BRU.

Ferdinand