[lug] Backup media and programs opinions?

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon Jun 24 12:02:48 MDT 2002

Ed's post reminded me of another aspect:  QFA - Quick File Access.  DAT and dds2tar offer
this feature in its basic form for free - and it works well.  But if you don't need QFA
because you don't have users who occasionally (or frequently) delete or destroy (hello M$
Word/Excel) important files then the time it takes to restore yesterday's or last week's
copy of this file isn't important.

Think very carefully about what you need.  Almost any user on a *nix platform can read
your tar on a dat media.  But you can't skip bad blocks on the tape in this case so you
really need to abide by the golden rule of backup:  "You should be able to smile if at any
time someone takes a hammer and smashes one of your tapes."  Of course even systems than
can skip those dreaded bad blocks on media can't help you if your tape gets physically
damaged.

Ferdinand

--
Ferdinand Schmid