[lug] Software/compiler issues w/dual CPU's

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Tue Jun 25 08:50:37 MDT 2002

We are planning on putting together a Linux machine here so folks can
"test the water" so to speak.  Since I've built a few Linux machines for
myself, I've been tasked with putting this one together.  I was planning
on building a dual CPU machine, and some issues have just been raised by
a colleague.  Namely, will a dual CPU machine introduce compiler issues
that our users will have to overcome when porting code?  gcc, fortran,
S-Plus (if available for Linux), and IDL are the main languages used
here.

In simplistic terms, I was under the impression that a dual CPU machine
just made everything faster.  If there are specific issues that must be
considered when coding on a MP machine, we'll likely stay with a single
CPU.

Gary