[lug] Software/compiler issues w/dual CPU's

Sexton, George gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Tue Jun 25 09:24:39 MDT 2002

I have dealt with "TONS" of smp under linux and never encountered an
application that would not run correctly because it was multi-cpu.

Totally bogus point.

Here is the real deal on SMP. If you write a multi-threaded application, and
only test it on uni-processor you will probably not find bugs in your code.
When the code is run on SMP machines, things MAY mysteriously break. Again,
this only applies if you are writing multi-threaded code. This isn't because
SMP causes problems, but because a multi-threaded application's dynamics
change when run on an SMP machine.