[lug] DVD recommendations

Ben Luey lueyb at gridley.ACNS.Carleton.edu
Tue Jun 25 13:30:04 MDT 2002

I want upgrade my computer so it can play DVD's. I have a k6-300, 128meg
ram and a diamond viper 330 (4meg) graphics card (an old nvidia chipset,
but nothing special). Should I buy a dvd decoder card?  Would that help me
avoid some of the liux codec dvd problems? Do I need a better graphics
card (or cpu) or can I just buy a dvd-rom? Are the linux drivers / codecs
such that (with some work) I can play any dvd in linux or if I want that
must I install windows?

Thanks,

Ben