[lug] Backup media and programs opinions?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Jun 25 16:46:51 MDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 02:01:39PM -0600, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
>I should have been more specific:  When restoring with tar you don't know if you restored
>garbage when running into a bad block.  You can still forward to the beginning of another

There is a field in the tar headers which is for a checksum, but I don't
believe it's used.  Part of the problem is that the tar header appears
BEFORE the file-data, so putting in the checksum would require reading the
file data twice (once to compute the checksum, once to dump it to the
archive).

Sean
--
 I'd like an order of fries, a quarter-pounder with cheese,
 I love the light in your eyes, will you go out with me please.