[lug] DVD-RAM

George Hyatt ghyatt at creativeconsulting.com
Tue Jun 25 19:08:15 MDT 2002

I have a DVD-RAM drive, a nice high-capacity read-write optical disk
gadget, not super-fast, but good capacity.  Under older linux kernels
(2.2.16 and such), one could modify scsi.c to get the kernel to
recognize such drives as read-write devices.  Using RedHat 7.2
(presently 2.4.9-34, extensively up2dated), how do I do this?  At
present, RedHat only recognizes the machine as a CDROM drive, and that
sure misses the point!  Can anybody on the list steer me to useful
instructions on getting linux 2.4 to support the write capability of a
DVD-RAM or similar?

If I get it going, I'll gladly summarize the process for the LUG.  The
procedure should also apply to the DVD+RW found in recent HP and similar
computers.

TIA -

George Hyatt
g.hyatt at computer.org