[lug] TV cards?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Jun 26 07:20:20 MDT 2002

Thus spoke Nate Duehr
> With the discussion about the DVD playing, it made me remember I wanted to
> ask the group if anyone has a particularly good/simple-to-setup/works-great
> TV input card they like for Linux.

I run a Hauppage WinTV card all the time.  I plug the cable into the VCR
and the VCR into the WinTV card, then use the remote on the VCR.  Mostly I
just watch movies (actually just listen to them even though I can see the
screen too) while I work.

This card uses the bttv driver and I use xawtv to run it.  I launch it with
this script run as root:

#!/bin/bash -p

# Modules to load:
# tuner
# bttv
# i2c
# videodev
# msp3400
# tvaudio (gets loaded automatically)

# bttv                   53616   0  (unused)
# i2c-algo-bit            7104   1  [bttv]
# tuner                   4048   1
# videodev                4800   3  [bttv]
# msp3400                13296   1
# i2c-core

modprobe bttv 2>&1 > /dev/null
cd /usr/local/xawtv/bin
export PATH=$PATH:`pwd`
v4l-conf -q
xawtv --noxv --novm --nodga > /dev/null 2>&1
modprobe -r bttv 2>&1 > /dev/null

--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |    A hard-on doesn't count as personal growth.