[lug] message from fschmid

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jun 26 15:36:35 MDT 2002

Ferdinand Schmid wrote:

> It appears that this message originated in Vietnam if I read the header correctly.
> Someone fraudulently used my e-mail address and then broadcast their message through BLUG
> (and who knows where else).  I have attached the whois for the originating mail relay.
> We have received a significant amount of spam with company user e-mail addresses as the
> sender at our office.  Every originating relay was only used once to prevent us from
> filtering certain IPs.  From schools in PA to servers in Asia.
>
> All I can say is that this message was not sent by me and I am sorry and upset that my
> e-mail address has been (and continues to be) taken hostage.

That is another typical worm/virus attribute, forging of email headers
to hide identity, but using a real email address seen elsewhere to make
it look like someone familiar has sent it (adds false validity). But
without the hidden suffix, it won't hurt even a windows user unless they
rename it to the right suffix.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com