[lug] DVD recommendations

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Wed Jun 26 22:10:29 MDT 2002

* j davis (davis_compz at hotmail.com) wrote:

> All you need  to do is download libdvdcss
> and libxml, libdvdnav (not needed but cool)libdvdread
>
> http://www.videolan.org/libdvdcss/download.html
>
> and use your player of choice.....
> MPlayer ,Xine, Ogle...

This is true *but*, libdvdcss is not really legal to use.  It is
easy to get, etc, but not legal.  Thus, though unlikely to land you in
any trouble, it is not on the straight an narrow.  That being said,
I think it is a total *crock* that using it is illegal.  It should be
the onus of the government to prove that a crime was committed.  If I use
the software to watch DVDs (which I do), and don't make copies and sell
them, *I* should not be considered to be committing a crime.  Especially
when you consider that DeCSS exists because of the incompetence of the
people that built it.

But anyway, I could go on and on.

Tim