[lug] DVD recommendations

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Wed Jun 26 22:13:46 MDT 2002

* Scott A. Herod (herod at dimensional.com) wrote:
> You will need a DVD drive and typically the kernel needs to have SCSI
> support built in because SCSI emulation is required for the DVD drive.
> My experience is that DVD drives are well supported in linux.

I think you might be confusing this with CD-RW.  In my case, scsi was
not only not needed, it was not *wanted*.  With the generic scsi, you
don't get direct access to the hardware.  Thus, if you are using the
software decoding of DeCSS, you get choppy, bad performance.  Whatever
software I am using to decode DVDs actually printed a big warning when I
first ran it, because the DVD drive was being accessed through generic
scsi.  And performance was *bad* that way (on a Athlon 1.2 Mhz, with
a 10X DVD drive).

Tim