[lug] re-partition the primary master

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Mon Jul 1 23:03:38 MDT 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Paul Bille said:

> It's a dual boot system with LINUX and Windows installed on the master
> 10gb drive partitioned as follows: Primary Master 10GB
> 	hda1	2048mb		/dos
> 	hda2	 104mb		/
> 	hda3	 104mb		LINUX swap
> 	hda5	1542mb		/usr
> 	hda7	  54mb		/var
> 	hda8	6063mb		/home
>
> There is a 1.6GB slave with Windows data and an unused Win operating
> system: Secondary Slave 1.6GB
> 	hdb1	1584mb		Win FAT32
>
> I have a /usr partition with 1.5GB that is only %72 utilized with RH 7.0
> but apparently RH 7.3 needs > 2GB.  I wonder if I'll be able to
> re-partition to take some of the space from /home and use it for /usr
> without loosing all the data in /usr.

Then using the Multiple devices driver support capability of the kernel,
why can't you break up the /home partition into two smaller pieces, and
"append" one of them to /usr?  I haven't done it myself, but the
description seems to fit the situation:

Multiple devices driver support
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD

  This driver lets you combine several hard disk partitions into one
  logical block device. This can be used to simply append one
  partition to another one or to combine several redundant hard disks
  into a RAID1/4/5 device so as to provide protection against hard
  disk failures. This is called "Software RAID" since the combining of
  the partitions is done by the kernel. "Hardware RAID" means that the
  combining is done by a dedicated controller; if you have such a
  controller, you do not need to say Y here.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net