[lug] re-partition the primary master

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Tue Jul 2 11:01:39 MDT 2002

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, D. Stimits said:

> John Karns wrote:

> > Then using the Multiple devices driver support capability of the kernel,
> > why can't you break up the /home partition into two smaller pieces, and
> > "append" one of them to /usr?  I haven't done it myself, but the
> > description seems to fit the situation:
>
> Part of the original question was how to do it without destroying the
> data. When creating an MD device, it is 100% destructive. But it would

As cited in the quoted text, he stated "without loosing all the data in
/usr."  So it should be possible to break up the /home partition and
append one of the parts to the /usr partition and accomplish the goal as
stated, since the /usr partition is located in a lower partition than
/home.  Data in the /home partition is a different matter however, and
preserving the data in *that* partition of course would require a backup
/ restore.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net