[lug] Dual Boot with Windows XP

Glenn Murray gmurray at Mines.EDU
Wed Jul 3 15:06:26 MDT 2002

Hi,

I have a similar "Dell Utility" partition on my 8200 Desktop.  Recent
readers of the list will recall I was trying to make this a dual-boot
machine with Linux on a second drive.  When I ran LILO to that partition I
could no longer boot XP or Linux and I had to restore the partition with
the usual dd command that you see in the How To's.

By the way, I copied grub's first and second stage stuff to a floppy as
per the grub docs and tried to run that, but it croaked, too.  I'm
currently thinking that if you have XP on your primary drive and want to
boot Linux from a second drive you have to use the XP boot loader.

On the other hand, on several machines with Win2K and Linux on the same
disk I had no problem writing LILO to the MBR.

Good luck,
Glenn Murray
http://www.mines.edu/~gmurray