[lug] RE: Dual boot laptops

Andrew Gilmore agilmore at uc.usbr.gov
Wed Jul 3 15:44:22 MDT 2002

A couple of comments:

I've had success with Windows respecting (gasp!) the Linux MBR with W2K.
Wierd, but true. I've reinstalled W2k several times on a machine, and it
seems to recognize the fact that the MBR is in use, and non windows, so
it seems to quietly set itself up to be booted from GRUB/LILO.
Some of the dual boot howtos are a bit out of date in this respect.

Those extra partitions are too small to be either suspend to
disk/hibernate or OS backups (WXP in 32 MB, I don't think so. :)
They may be that engineering diagnostic stuff, but even that size is a
bit small.

What manufacturer? I've had good luck with my Dell Inspiron 8000.

Make sure to check the linux-laptop page for information on your
machine. google has it as the lucky page. :)

Enjoy!