[lug] RE: Dual Boot with Windows XP (J. Wayde Allen)

Hugh Brown hugh at vecna.com
Thu Jul 4 22:26:19 MDT 2002

I haven't had any problems.  I got a dell laptop, shrank the ntfs
partition down, added a fat partition for transferring back and forth
between linux and xp and then installed linux on the rest.

I use grub as the boot loader and it works fine.

Here's what my grub.conf looks like

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,2)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda6
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-5)
	root (hd0,2)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-5 ro root=/dev/hda6 hdb=ide-scsi
	initrd /initrd-2.4.18-5.img
title WinXP
	rootnoverify (hd0,1)
	chainloader +1

My experience has been the complete opposite of yours.  I do just have
one disk for both os's so that may be a difference.

Hugh