[lug] RE: Dual Boot with Windows XP (J. Wayde Allen)

bof bof at pcisys.net
Fri Jul 5 07:27:24 MDT 2002

Timothy C. Klein wrote:

>I have had luck installing a new laptop BIOS using FreeDOS.  I

For that matter, most BIOS upgrades will use a self-booting DOS disk to
install the upgrade and never get into the OS at all. Some of them even
are so nice as to create a bootable disk when the .exe file that the
BIOS comes in expands itself (which needs be done under some form of
Windows).

BTW, I have found it useful sometimes to overwrite the boot sector
before attempting to install another OS. Some of the partition tables
just don't want to let go when trying to install Linux over them: e.g.,
FreeBSD does something that needs the overwrite. Even though fdisk or
Disk Druid say that they have created the new table and written it, it
doesn't seem to take until I physically boot the machine with a rescue
disk and overwrite the boot partition.