[lug] Q. on AT&T broadband

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Jul 5 09:44:29 MDT 2002

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 03:46:40PM -0600, Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
> >V.good download. Slow upload.
>
> Latency isn't bad, it takes around 50ms RTT from here to Kevin's place.
> The AT&T net is fairly fast except when it really sucks (maybe once a
> month).  What efm's talking about is that the inbound bandwidth is pretty
> high, around 200KB/sec.  Sending things out is pretty easy to swamp the
> line, as it only has around 30KB/sec there (which was until a few weeks ago
> only 15KB/sec).

Kbit or KByte? Since it is cable, I assume byte, whereas normally I
would think in bits for connection speeds. The latency side sounds quite
good, which I'm interested in.

Btw, does anyone know how traffic shaping among three computers split
evenly on one of these would change latency?

> If you want to run servers, DSL is a better choice.  However, I was under
> the impression that you *HAD* no other choice than dial-up.

No servers, except maybe internal network that never goes to the outside
world. Right now there is no choice other than 56k or T1, but an
automated AT&T spam advertisement dialed the phone and said it had just
become available (going to the web site and putting in the address, it
says the particular address is not yet serviced, I hope the web site is
just behind the times).

> You can't select an ISP on it, you either get AT&T or you don't get a cable
> modem.

In order to do a near-fatal blow to the spammers, I was thinking of
dealing with email internally, and being as mean as I can to non-latin1
character sets (I have 184 spams in my inbox since just a couple of
weeks ago, that are non-latin1/non-English spam). Their site does
mention the possibility of ordering the right number of IP addresses,
but it doesn't say dynamic or static; even if they were static IP's, I
would want it to resolve to a non-generic name (which I might not be
able to do), and be able to ssh in (and maybe cvs over ssh) and
send/receive email, but otherwise not operate servers (my web site would
remain at its current location that has a pair of load
balanced/redundant OC3's, a bit faster than cable modem:). I think next
week I'll call up one of their numbers and ask for more details, I
suspect I can't do everything I want even if it really is available
here.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com