[lug] building a server room

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Jul 8 08:50:48 MDT 2002

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> For UPS power, check on ebay and plan to replace the batteries.  The cells
> cost around $100 to $150 to replace if you do it yourself, but I was
> getting 2U rackmount 1400VA SmartUPSs for around $250 when I got a bunch
> for our server space.

Also, if you can afford it, buy UPS's that run the inverters
continuously to feed the machines and therefore have zero switchover
time.  (Hint: Most of APC's product line does not do this.)

Well, at least that's my opinion anyway... plus you learn quicker about
batteries that are having problems with that style of UPS -- because who
remembers to change their UPS batteries out on a regular basis?

Nate, nate at natetech.com