[lug] image databases and albums

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Jul 8 19:23:12 MDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 19:07, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> OK, so I've got my new digital camera (Canon S30) and have gone
> a bit overboard taking pictures of all kinds of things with all
> kinds of camera settings.  And I want to do the obvious things:
>
>   Put together a local database of pictures
>   Publish web albums, complete with audio annotations where available
>   Compare different pictures of the same thing to figure out
>     how best to use the camera in the future.

Hi Neal,

I'm not aware of any tool that has all the features that you list (hmm,
if someone wrote something supporting all those features, it'd likely
get some use...).

Have you looked at Gallery?

  http://gallery.jacko.com/

While it doesn't do all the stuff that you want (and has a somewhat slow
http-only interface), it does do a pretty nice job of organizing and
sharing photos.  I use it at:

  http://gamma1.mines.edu/~edhill/gallery/

and have been quite pleased with it.

Ed