[lug] building a server room

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Jul 9 12:54:32 MDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 10:29:36PM -0500, John Karns wrote:
>Do the APC models do this?  Then there is the little rocker switch on the
>front panel that allows a manual test.

All the ones I've seen have done the test automatically or you can force
one by pressing and holding the "on" button when the unit is already on...

>I wonder how NiCad and Lion cells compare with that.  I know that the cell
>life is dependant on the number of charging cycles, but how about 1/2
>charges etc?  My 3 yr old Compaq cell still carries a 2 - 3 hr charge, and
>I've rarely discharged it more than about 50%.

The LIon cells we've had have tended to run only about 6 to 8 months before
they really need to be replaced.  We use them pretty hard, probably on the
order of 5 or more cycles per week.

Sean
--
 Total strangers need love, too; and I'm stranger than most.