[lug] NVIDIA GeForce2 Go Driver & KRUD (Was Dell Utility Partition)

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Wed Jul 10 15:35:10 MDT 2002

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, D. Stimits wrote:

> Side note: Always get the non-accelerated nv driver working before you
> add the accelerated nvidia driver.

Yes, I'm currently back tracking to this level right now.

> IMHO, the nvidia drivers are well worth it for speed, stability, and
> especially for OpenGL compliance (despite being a non-bleeding edge
> version).

Yes, well ... this machine is a Pentium 4, 1.6 GHz, with a 15 inch Super
XGA+ screen.  I'm trying to get it setup with the 2002-06-01 KRUD
distribution (Red Hat 7.3).  So far I've tried downloading both:

  NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.rh73up.i386.rpm
  NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.rh73up.i686.rpm

and although these seem to install using

   rpm -ivh NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.rh73up.i386.rpm

without any big problems I can't seem to get the modules to load.  Keep
getting the error that the module was compiled for a different kernel
version.  So ... I grabbed a copy of NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.src.rpm and
tried compiling that.  This says I'm missing various library and header
files.  It may be that I don't have the source code for the kernel
installed.  I haven't found that yet, but I'm trying to get familiar with
the Red Hat way of doing things.  My more usual distribution has been
Debian.  Figured this installation was a chance to get more familiar with
KRUD.  So far I've been learning a fair amount - maybe a touch more than I
had originally planned <wink>.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)