[lug] Fetchmail, smtp, procmail, and port 110

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Wed Jul 10 17:17:58 MDT 2002

On a different note, I've recently been setting up a home network, and
have managed to cause problems with my wife's fetchmail
installation.  This is also a KRUD system and seemed to be able to pop
mail from her dialup account without any problems.  Since installing the
ethernet card I've developed a number of questions:

   - How does one configure the ppp dialup to coexist with the ethernet
     link?  Actually, they both work, but in order to get a ppp connection
     I have to shutdown the eth0 network.  I'm fairly certain that this is
     due to the need for the dialup server to set the local IP address
     whereas my eth0 interface assumes that the network uses a fixed
     IP.  Ultimately the plan is to migrate off of the dialup service, so
     having to drop the eth0 interface to talk isn't a big problem, but I
     was curious is there is a way to fix this?

   - The more serious issue is that my wife's fetchmail service has gotten
     to be very slow.  It works, but after connecting to the server and
     determining that there is mail available it sits for about 1 minute
     before issuing a "Can't raise smtp listener, switching to procmail"
     or something similar.  After that things work OK.  Her .fetchmailrc
     file also has a "port 110" line.  Not sure why that would be since I
     think smtp traffic should normally be on port 25.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)