[lug] redhat install

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Thu Jul 11 17:17:37 MDT 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, j davis wrote:

> Please could someone give me some input...
> was this just a bad hd or did I f-it up?

We're thinking ...

> > During a rh7.3 install I was asked if I would like to intilize a
> >unformated and unpartioned hard drive. I said yes, and used
> > diskdruid to partion it. Install went fine....

This is hard to understand.  Did you try "initializing an unformated and
upartitions hard drive"?  That comment makes me wonder about the low level
formating.  If on the other hand, you did the normal, partitioning of the
drive, and formating (mkfs) on a valid partition then I can't see anything
you could have done wrong.

It isn't terribly clear what you did.  My first inclination is that
somehow you torpedoed the low level formating on the drive.  Is this a
SCSI or IDE drive?  I know that you can low level format a SCSI drive, but
I don't know about an IDE?  In any case, if that is what you did, then the
bad sector map on the drive is gone and the disk won't be usuable without
a new low level format.  On a SCSI drive you could run a low level format
to remap the drive.  I'm not sure about an IDE disk?

In any case, the best I can do is guess.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)