[lug] redhat install

j davis davis_compz at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 11 17:47:10 MDT 2002

its ide :(  was a brand new w.d.40 gig right out the box....I have installed
before without preformating my disk....I have another 40gig w.d....exactly
the same (vendor replaced the one i messed up) So, Im thinking that maybe
i should plug it in another box  with its own hd and bootable os and
preformat it...just 1 big partion ext3, then use diskdruid to
.....wow this sounds really dumb as i am writting it...I just dont
want to waste a few more hours and another 40gig...this will
teach me to never buy w.d. again...it was on sale :(
  Any suggestions?

jd

>From: "J. Wayde Allen" <wallen at lug.boulder.co.us>
>To: "List: Boulder Linux User's Group" <lug at lug.boulder.co.us>
>Subject: Re: [lug] redhat install
>Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 17:17:37 -0600 (MDT)
>
>On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, j davis wrote:
>
> > Please could someone give me some input...
> > was this just a bad hd or did I f-it up?
>
>We're thinking ...
>
> > > During a rh7.3 install I was asked if I would like to intilize a
> > >unformated and unpartioned hard drive. I said yes, and used
> > > diskdruid to partion it. Install went fine....
>
>This is hard to understand.  Did you try "initializing an unformated and
>upartitions hard drive"?  That comment makes me wonder about the low level
>formating.  If on the other hand, you did the normal, partitioning of the
>drive, and formating (mkfs) on a valid partition then I can't see anything
>you could have done wrong.
>
>It isn't terribly clear what you did.  My first inclination is that
>somehow you torpedoed the low level formating on the drive.  Is this a
>SCSI or IDE drive?  I know that you can low level format a SCSI drive, but
>I don't know about an IDE?  In any case, if that is what you did, then the
>bad sector map on the drive is gone and the disk won't be usuable without
>a new low level format.  On a SCSI drive you could run a low level format
>to remap the drive.  I'm not sure about an IDE disk?
>
>In any case, the best I can do is guess.
>
>- Wayde
>   (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)

>Join us on IRC: lug.boulder.co.us port=6667 channel=#colug

thanks,
jd

jd at taproot.bz
http://www.taproot.bz