[lug] redhat install

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Jul 11 22:02:22 MDT 2002

j davis wrote:

> the dmi pool right after post...before lilo

Therefore the PCI logic within the drive controller, or else the BIOS
within the motherboard, is failing. The dmi pool is the pool of
information that the PCI bus devices provide about themselves during
bootup. It sounds like controller or motherboard or cable failure, or
some snafu such as a bad jumper position on the drive jumpers. If you
remove the good drive, and place the new one at the old slot, with
jumpers properly set, does it then work?

If you don't actually try to access the device for boot, and leave it as
a spare, then run fdisk on linux on that drive, go into "extra
functionality" ("x"), then print raw partition data table ("d"). Does it
end with "55 AA"? If not, then boot sector is terminated wrong, and will
have to be corrected. I would be concerned with how it became improperly
terminated if that is the case (this is software termination, nothing to
do with hardware). My best guess though is that the drive, cable,
controller, or jumper on the drive are defective (for jumper just wrong
terminals, it can't really be defective). The dmi pool failure is a
failure before linux is ever reached, and it should not be possible to
mess up the PCI BIOS within the controller without some serious effort.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com