[lug] redhat install

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Fri Jul 12 09:26:20 MDT 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, j davis wrote:

> its ide :(  was a brand new w.d.40 gig right out the box....I have installed
> before without preformating my disk....

I was referring to the low level formating of the drive
<http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/L/low_level_format.html>.  For IDE disks
this is done at the factory.  If somehow that got screwed up I think you
have a definite problem.  Usually SCSI controllers have the ability to
create a low level format.  I'm not aware of such capability in IDE
controllers, but there may be a way.

In any case, it sounds like Mr. Stimits may be on the right track
<http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/bymonth/2002.07/msg00179.html>.  I seem
to recall you saying earlier that you tried a different drive in this box?
If so that may vindicate the system hardware.  That pretty much leaves the
hard drive itself as the problem.  The only reason for putting the hard
drive in another known good system would be to see if you can reproduce
the failure over there.  That would pretty much nail down whether the
problem is with the disk.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)