[lug] redhat install

Peter Hutnick peter at fpcc.net
Thu Jul 11 17:38:16 MDT 2002

On Thursday 11 July 2002 05:47 pm, j davis wrote:
> its ide :(  was a brand new w.d.40 gig right out the box....I have
> installed before without preformating my disk....I have another 40gig
> w.d....exactly the same (vendor replaced the one i messed up) So, Im
> thinking that maybe i should plug it in another box  with its own hd and
> bootable os and preformat it...just 1 big partion ext3, then use diskdruid
> .....wow this sounds really dumb as i am writting it...I just dont
> want to waste a few more hours and another 40gig...this will
> teach me to never buy w.d. again...it was on sale :(
>   Any suggestions?

Unless I am very much mistaken any error before the lilo prompt is BIOS
generated on a system with an actual LILO boot sector.

According to several web sites (google for "dmi pool") the error "Verifying
DMI Pool Data" is a Win9x oh-shit message.  Is that what you are getting?

Either way, I think that there is something very wrong with your boot sector.
 Are you getting to the part of the install that intalls the boot sector?
Are you putting it on hda (as opposed to hda1)?  Is there another HDD in the
system?  Is the MB on a recent BIOS version?  Do you have all other possible
boot sources disconnected/ejected?  (Off the top of my head; network, CD,
diskette, firewire(?),  that hard disk you forgot to disconnect :-) .

Good luck!

-Peter