[lug] KRUD installation hang-up

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Jul 12 23:42:44 MDT 2002

John Dollison wrote:

> My older computer is a dual-boot system that was running Win98 and eDesktop
> 2.4.  I decided to reformat the Linux partions and install KRUD.  I went
> with mostly the default options, and everything seemed fine until near the
> end, where it locked during the "post-installation configuration".  I had to
> do a hard reset.  Any ideas as to what may have gone wrong, or how to
> interactively troubleshoot it to see what setup step is causing it to hang?
> I admit that I'm pretty much a newbie on Linux.

For me it was hanging up when I told it to test the X11 settings. Tell
it to boot to text mode as its default, not graphical, and do NOT tell
it to test the settings. Once you have rebooted and the install is done,
only then test X11 with "init 5" as root. If it works correctly, then
you can change the "3" to "5" in /etc/inittab. Lots of other things
could go wrong, but bad graphics mode settings seem to be a common
problem on many install lockups.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com