[lug] files not appearing in ls output

Michael Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Jul 15 15:35:59 MDT 2002

I was looking at the NFS howto about a problem I was having when I ran
into this paragraph that might explain the problem someone was having
with ls.  Sorry, I lost the original email because I didn't have an
answer.  Actually, this still doesn't provide an answer, but it talks
about the problem a little.

I found it here: http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/

Directly after mounting with a larger size, cd into the mounted file
system and do things like ls, explore the fs a bit to make sure
everything is as it should. If the rsize/wsize is too large the symptoms
are very odd and not 100% obvious. A typical symptom is incomplete file
lists when doing 'ls', and no error messages. Or reading files failing
mysteriously with no error messages. After establishing that the given
rsize/wsize works you can do the speed tests again. Different server
platforms are likely to have different optimal sizes. SunOS and Solaris
is reputedly a lot faster with 4096 byte blocks than with anything else.