[lug] shm filesystem and RH/KRUD 7.3

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Jul 16 11:10:19 MDT 2002

Tkil wrote:

> DS> none  /dev/shm  tmpfs  defaults  0 0
>
> DS> Can anyone tell me anything about this, or advise for/against
> DS> removing the fstab entry?
>
> See Documentation/Configure.help:
>
>   You should mount the file system somewhere to be able to use
>   POSIX shared memory. Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should
>   take care of things:
>
>   tmpfs         /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults        0 0
>
>   Remember to create the directory that you intend to mount tmpfs on
>   if necessary (/dev/shm is automagically created if you use devfs).
>
> It further directs you to Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt
>
> (All under linux source tree, probably a part of the kernel-docs rpm).
>
> t.

Perhaps I should be more specific in this question: Does anyone know of
any particular common application which actually takes advantage of
this? If not, probably I could comment it out until if/when I find
something needing it. Then there are probably applications that look for
shm systems, and not finding any, do not complain and use something
slower, so I wouldn't ever know if anything could use it, at least not
via application logs/errors.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com