[lug] shm filesystem and RH/KRUD 7.3

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jul 17 20:43:01 MDT 2002

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 04:21:35AM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
> >> Any particular reason why you are trying to remove it?
> >
> >It appears to be purely in ram, so it seemed like a good place to
> >recover extra ram if it was not used. Add curiosity to it.
>
> If you don't have anything using the shm, it hardly takes up any space at
> all.
>
>    Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
>    none                    160236         0    160236   0% /dev/shm
>
> In this case, it isn't 160MB that's being used, it's close to 0.

I interpret that (probably incorrectly) to mean that 0% of the space on
the partition (virtual though it may be, it seems to be a partition) has
been used, but that the partition itself is about 160 MB. If this
"virtual" partition has as its size the max it can expand to, but is not
actually pre-allocated (the way hard disk partitions are), then it would
seem perfectly logical to never worry about it (I would think of the 160
MB as a quota limit). So does the shm device dynamically expand and
contract as needed, or is it pre-allocated? Or perhaps this doesn't
contain a filesystem at all, doesn't have any kind of partition, and I
am talking apples/oranges here.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com