[lug] Postfix and M$ smtp question

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Thu Jul 18 02:23:42 MDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 10:14:42PM -0600, Egg wrote:

> I am curious if anyone has any idea why requests for mail delivery
> times-out when delivering to the following domains:
>
> hotmail.com
> msn.com
> pinpointtech.com
>

> The only thing that I can think of is that they are M$ based and thus
> aren't as likely to cooperate, but I find this a niave assumption to
> make so I was wondering if anyone knows what could be possible
> cause(es).

Hmm, shot into the dark: some providers (esp. the larger ones) start
to get rather picky when it come to accepting mail -- some actually
_do_ require that the sending host (as identified by the 'HELO' header)
does resolve corrctly during a DNS lookup. Assuming that you talk about
the same host that sent your mail:

|  From: Egg <egg at only-an-egg.org>

my 'nslookup' looks like this:

| > set qtype=any
| > shoggoth.only-an-egg.org.
| Server:  www-proxy.FR1.srv.t-online.de
| Address:  217.5.112.21
|
| *** www-proxy.FR1.srv.t-online.de can't find shoggoth.only-an-egg.org.: Non-existent host/domain

so it looks like 'shoggoth' isn't known to the rest of us ...

 Hope this helps

    Ralf Mattes