[lug] IBM thinkpad X23

Hugh Brown hugh at brownclan.org
Thu Jul 18 13:53:05 MDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 14:50, D. Stimits wrote:
> Warren Sanders wrote:
> >
> > Try disabling DRI by commenting out 'Load "dri"' in the config file,
> > then restart X.

Thanks to Warren and D.  This seems to have cured it.  I assume that I
have turned off direct hardware access by doing this.

> I will second this, and add to also make sure the set screen saver is
> not OpenGL. Although it is pretty hard to believe some of the apps and
> time periods involved would use DRI or allow screensavers to kick in. If
> you have outside networking, you might want to find out if it can still
> be pinged, and perhaps enable either sshd or telnet while debugging, so
> you can see if it really locked up, or if just the keyboard and video is
> locked up. If you can get in and su to root, try running init to console
> login level. If you have a serial port, try enabling the kernel debugger
> and magic-sysrq and get a null modem cable for serial port login (you
> can almost always get to the kernel debugger and get a backtrace even
> under a full lockup if you have a serial port connect).

It was dead.  No response on the network, no response on sshd.  How do
you enable the kernel debugger/magic-sysrq?  I suppose I should go get a
null modem cable to drag around with me.

> Btw, what graphics card does it have?

ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY (per lspci)

Hugh