[lug] cable modem network topology

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Jul 19 17:36:03 MDT 2002

LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu wrote:
> Why the need for Internet addys for each machine behind the firewall?  Couldn't
> you setup IP masq'ing, and just use one Internet IP?
>
> My setup (albeit DSL) is like this, on Windows (yuck!).  I have one machine
> that has the DSL card and an Ethernet card.  It's running NAT32p (a Windows
> program for doing IP masqing).  From the two machines behind the router
> machine, I can do anything I want (including VPN).  The only thing I cannot do
> is have people contact machines behind my router, which is not a problem for me.
>
> If you could get away with that, it's prolly less of a headache to setup.  And,
> it saves you $10 /mo...  Best of all, the ISP really need not know that you've
> done this!

I don't consider it acceptable to masquerade, these should be "full
feature" connections, all of them with the future ability to be
contacted from the outside if requested. Mainly I am thinking of being
able to get to my cvs for short periods via dropping my firewall on that
port for specific IP's, or making my internal web server visible to a
single outside IP address for short time periods. Then there is ssh also.

The windows users are non-knowledgeable/non-security-conscious people
who are better off with protection against windows remote attacks.

D. Stimits, stimits @ idcomm.com