[lug] cable modem network topology

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Jul 19 17:39:17 MDT 2002

Jonathan Briggs wrote:
> Look into setting up your firewall as a bridge.  I think you'll need a
> kernel patch to allow firewall to work with bridging.
>
> Bridging is nice because it turns your firewall into a switch instead of
> a router.  It won't need an IP address and you won't need to run DHCP on
> the firewall.  This is good because the only ways that I can imagine
> getting 3 DHCP IP addresses on one computer involve horrible hacks.
>
> This link looks promising:
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Bridge+Firewall+DSL.html
>
> I have to say I've only heard about this.  I've never done it myself.

This is exactly what I am looking for. The biggest problem here is that
the kernel patch is for 2.2.x kernels only. There are bridging options
in 2.4.x kernels (I'm using 2.4.19-rc2), but I have not yet determined
whether the 2.4.x kernels (the doc was written long before 2.4.x and
iptables) can filter over bridges without a patch. If 2.4.x kernels can
use iptables or ipchains and filter without patches, it'll make my day.
If I can also implement some form of shaping to give my machine low
latency and the others good bandwidth, I'll be even more happy. Does
anyone here have experience with bridging on 2.4.x kernels, and if so,
have you used filtering at the same time, or shaping (or QoS)?

D. Stimits, stimits @ idcomm.com