[lug] cable modem network topology

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Jul 19 18:23:22 MDT 2002

Mr Viggy wrote:
> Oh, okay.  I'm not sure if I should take offense to your remark about
> Windows users...

In this case, I am speaking of specific cases. I sometimes get questions
  about how to copy and paste text in windows, or how to unzip a zip
file. My favorite was "why can't I delete this character?"...which was
actually the mouse cursor :P

> ;-)
>
> My setup is (obviously) different, and if it were me, I'd setup masqing,
> since I have no need to contact any of the machines behind my firewall.
>  I'm using Windows right now because I screwed up, and instead of
> letting my company buy me a Cisco 678 External DSL router, I went for
> the free internal Intel router.  It has no Linux drivers.  Besides, my
> wife doesn't know Linux like I know Linux...

That reminds me, does anyone know if the AT&T cable comes with choices
on cable modems? If so, are there good/bad choices here? I assume
external is best, but I read in one FAQ already that at least one cable
modem is PNP set to require the o/s be PNP-aware. Now if the modem is
rented ($2/month), I wonder how they feel about running a utility to set
it to non-PNP-aware.

D. Stimits, stimits @ idcomm.com