[lug] cable modem network topology

Mr Viggy LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu
Fri Jul 19 18:34:16 MDT 2002

I don't know about this area, but my boss (Portland, OR) has an external
modem, but says that he needs to run some kind of "client" s/w on all
the machines that access the Internet...  And, the modem is conencted
through twisted pair!

I think AT&T has some kind of s/w, similar to Zone Alarm (for windows)
that inserts some propritary bits into packet headers, so you can access
their network.  As matter of fact, he had to remove Zone Alarm from all
his machiens, otherwise that machine couldn't see the Internet.

He's running your typical LAN setup for three machines; then through the
cable modem, and out...

Viggy